Pregnant, but need financial help?

Are you pregnant, but afraid you can’t afford a baby? Maybe you are a single mom or going to be, and you need of financial assistance?

Well take a deep breath and rest assured – there are many financial resources available to help you out!

In Illinois, there are several government benefits that pregnant women and single moms in may apply and qualify for. The following information is an overview of what benefits are available and has been adapted from


Financial Assistance Programs



Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly Food Stamps) helps low income people and families buy the food they need for good health. Benefits are provided on the Illinois Link Card – an electronic card that is accepted at most grocery stores.

Cash Assistance:

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides temporary financial and healthcare coverage for pregnant women and families with one or more dependent children. TANF provides financial assistance to pay for food, shelter, utilities and expenses other than medical.

Healthcare Coverage:

Aid to the Aged, Blind and Disabled (AABD) Cash is for people who are aged, blind and/or disabled and need money. A person who is eligible for the AABD Cash Program receives cash and healthcare coverage.

Illinois offers coverage to eligible children, adults, seniors and people with disabilities. These programs provide access to healthcare at a reasonable cost.


WIC is a food assistance program for women, infants, and children. It helps pregnant women, new mothers, and young children eat well and stay healthy. Special vouchers to buy milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, peanut butter, and other healthy foods are part of this program.

Who qualifies?

 Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or just had a baby.

 Infants and children under 5 years old.

 Families with a low to medium income.


More information on these and other State of Illinois Benefit programs can be found on the Department of Human Services’ website:

More information on WIC can be found at

The Illinois Department of Human Services has a website with all the information you will need to find out if you qualify for financial help, food stamps, or medical assistance. Anyone can apply for these benefits through ABE (Application for Benefits Eligibility.) Please visit:


In addition to these programs, there are different tax credits available as well:

The Child Tax Credit:

This is an important tax credit that may reduce your federal income tax by up to $1,000 for each qualifying child under the age of 17, depending on your income. All of this information as well as the current tax forms for the Child Tax Credit can be found at:

Earned Income Credit:

For information on this tax credit, go to

Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit:

For information, go to: